Winter Storms Ahead
In the colder months, Staten Islanders can expect rain, snow, and ice storms. As well as a variety of issues that can mess with your home like flooding in your basement or garage from frozen pipes or melted snow.
At SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island, our well trained team is prepared to respond to a flood or water disaster immediately. We are locally owned and operated, always prepared for storm damage and are ready to respond quickly.
How to prepare for the cold winter ahead-
Here are some simple tips to get your home for the cooler weather
- Insulate walls and attic through a professional company
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows
- These wear out over time and let in drafts
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Just like the issue with worn weather stripped, windows can create a draft
- Be prepared with emergency heat:
- A Fireplace with a good supply of wood or propane
- A Small, well-vented, wood, coal, or camp stove with fuel
- A Portable space heaters or kerosene heaters
- Be careful with these as they can cause fire hazards