How to Prepare Your Home For Winter Storms
Winter weather brings freezing temperatures, and snowy conditions. Ensure your home or business is prepared by reading the tips below:
1) Drain water from the swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines.
2) Be careful with Anti-Freeze: Do NOT put antifreeze in these lines unless directed: antifreeze is environmentally harmful, and is dangerous to humans, pets, and wildlife.
3) Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
4) Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl space. Ensure that areas where water supply lines are located are insulated enough. Consider leaving kitchen and bathroom sink cabinet doors open and dripping over night if you think they risk being frozen.
5) Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes.
6) If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home set to a temperature no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Temporarily suspend the use of lower night time thermostat temperatures to lower the risk of frozen pipes.
If your home or business ends up sustaining damage from winter weather, call SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island 718-979-4100. We can help you get your property restored to preloss condition. Call us as soon as you see storm damage.